It’s September 1st, so we’re getting excited for all things fall. Here’s an Austin kids fall bucket list to help inspire your adventures!
Pumpkin Patches & Fall Festivals
- The Pumpkin Patch at Barton Hill Farms opens on September 25th and runs Saturdays and Sundays through November 7th. 1115 FM 969, Bastrop.
- The Pumpkin Patch at Sweet Berry Farm opens on September 18! 1801 FM1980, Marble Falls.
- The Pumpkin Patch at Sweet Eats Fruit Farms opens on September 18! 14400 E State Hwy 29, Georgetown.
For more local pumpkin patches go here.
- Austin Museum Day is Sunday, September 19. This is the day where you can get into most Austin museums for FREE! For the complete list go here.
- Fortlandia is is an interactive collection of forts built by local architects, designers, and artists. It reopens on October 2 at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin.
Parks, Hiking, and Camping
- Take a hike! Some of our favorite kid-friendly trails are River Place Nature Trail, Walnut Creek, Great Hills Trail, and the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Or head out a little further and hike at our favorite place: Enchanted Rock!
- Camping is better in the fall, when you can enjoy the cooler temps at night. Buescher State Park isn’t that far from Austin and has some nice hiking and water activities. 100 Park Rd 1-C, Smithville.
- Volunteer! Pick up trash along our trails as a fun fall act of kindness. Sign up for your time slot at The Trail Foundation, or just bring some gloves and trash bags and pick up trash on your next hike.
- Explore a hill country town on a day trip (Wimberley, Ingram, Belton, Blanco, etc).
- Float the Frio! Even if the calendar says fall is approaching doesn’t mean it’s cool here yet. There’s still plenty of warm days on the horizon. Head out for a weekend trip to Garner State Park (234 RR 1050, Concan, TX) or surrounding areas and float the Rio Frio! Try to snag a reservation to Lost Maples State Natural Area (37221 RM 187, Vanderpool, TX) on your drive back to Austin. It fills up every year in the fall, but there may be some availability left!
- They might not have hot apple cider, but Cidercade is a fun place to sip some cider while the kids (and you!) play unlimited arcade games for only $10! 600 E Riverside Dr, Austin.
Outdoor Festivals and Events
- Farmers markets are best when the weather starts to cool down. Go here for a complete list of weekend farmers markets.
- The Chalk Walk is October 1 & 2 at Dell Diamond in Round Rock. Come see the amazing chalk art! 3400 E Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock.
- Meet your favorite authors and discover some new books at the Texas Book Festival Oct 25-31. 1023 Springdale Rd, Austin.
Willy Wonka Day
- Celebrate Willy Wonka Day on October 1st (the day the factory opened up to the winners) by visiting a local candy shop like Big Top Candy Shop. 1706 S Congress Ave, Austin.